In order to be accepted into a UNC Asheville music degree program, applicants must first pass an instrumental or vocal audition placing them into the Applied Music program. It is highly recommended that students pass an audition before enrolling at UNC Asheville.
Upcoming Audition Dates
November 12th, 2022 & January 28th, 2023
You must complete your Application for Music Audition (Required!):
To gain priority consideration, submit your UNC Asheville General Application for Admission.
Prepare for your in-person audition or prepare your audition videos.
Approximately 10 minutes of material should be prepared according to the requirements below. Applicants for any of our three degree programs may follow either the classical or jazz/contemporary guidelines, or a blend of the two.
Audition: Supplemental Materials (inclusion is optional):
- One or more letters of recommendation specific to music
- Resume or C.V. detailing musical industry experience
- Portfolio including examples of musical projects, compositions, mixing projects, electronic media, multimedia, etc. with accompanying descriptions and details.
If you choose to submit online audition material (repertoire performance videos, scale performance videos, and supplemental material, see below), the material will need to be uploaded to a Google Drive Folder of your own creation. Then, follow these steps:
- Your Google Drive Folder should be titled: [year][semester]-[lastname]-[firstname] (for example: 2021Fall-Doe-Jane)
- Share your video with Professor Carolina Perez by including his email email@example.com in your folder’s sharing system.
- Deadlines for folder sharing are as follows:
- November candidates must share folders no later than midnight, Friday, November 5th, 2022
- January candidates must share folders no later than midnight, Friday, January 21, 2023
November candidates will receive email notice on Tuesday, November 8th of their in-person audition or live video conference time slot and location. January candidates will receive this notification on Tuesday, January 24th.
If you have any specific needs or time constraints for your audition, please contact Carolina Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
If you submit an online audition, prepare for your live, video conference interview with your audition panelists. This 10-minute private interview will consist of questions from your panel based on your supplemental material and your videos, pitch-matching via singing of various notes played by the panelists, and possibly further performance demonstrations of your repertoire/scales material.
- November candidates will be interviewed live on Saturday, November 12th.
- January candidates will be interviewed live on Saturday, January 28th.
Video Interview Details:
- You will need access to a computer connected to broadband internet and either internal or external webcam. Smartphones or tablets may be used if needed, though computers are recommended.
- Zoom Conferences will be used to conduct interviews. The email you receive indicating your interview time will include the link to your panelists’ virtual room. Click the link and follow the instructions.
- Click the link to be admitted to the virtual waiting room 10 minutes before your scheduled time. You might be asked to start early. When the panelists are ready, they will admit you into the conference.
Music Theory and Piano Placement
The music theory placement exam will be given during orientation prior to the term, after acceptance into the Music School. This exam determines whether you must take Introductory Music Theory and Aural Skills before Music Theory and Aural Skills I.
The exam includes:
- Naming notes in treble and bass clef
- Identifying scales (major and 3 types of minor)
- Identifying simple intervals (by number and quality)
- Identifying major and minor key signatures
- Identifying major and minor triads
- Knowledge about time signatures
The piano placement exam determines whether you must take Class Piano. You will be asked to play major and minor scales, hands together.
Questions about the process, dates, links, or the use of Zoom conferencing can be directed to email@example.com.