Frequently Asked Questions

What music degrees are available at UNCA?


Do I have to audition in order to major in Music? 


Do I  have to be a music major or minor to be in an ensemble?

  • No! All ensembles are open to all UNCA students, but some require auditions.


How do I enroll in an ensemble?

  • Wind Ensemble (MUSC 121) and University Singers (MUSC 113)
    • Just sign up – no audition required!
  • Asheville Singers
  • Percussion Ensemble
  • Pep Band
  • Orchestra or string chamber ensemble
  • Jazz & Contemporary Ensembles
    • Auditions are held during the first week of classes each semester. Audition            information and signup sheet will be posted in Lipinsky Hall and on
    • Contact Dr. Brian Felix ( for more information.


Do you have to be a music major or minor to take private lessons on an instrument?

  • Yes. However, UNCA does offer Class Piano (MUSC 101) for non-majors.


Do you offer any other classes for non-majors?

  • Yes! We have many classes that are open to non-majors and have no prerequisites. This includes all of our music history and ethnomusicology courses. You can browse these classes in the UNCA Course Catalog.